Sunday, December 16, 2012

The MET

Recently I made a trip to see the Metropolitan Museum of Art. My friend told me there was an exhibit there called, Faking It: Manipulated Photography Before Photoshop. I was really excited to see this. Manipulation of negatives has always been something I have been interested in for a while. This semester I have learned how much fun it is to play around in the dark room. And sometimes I wish film was just as popular as digital. Jerry N. Uelsmann was one of the photographers who's work was displayed in this exhibit. I have recently been fasinated by his work after seeing how his process goes. I personally want to try it out myself. For those who are not familiar with his work his process is as follows: He takes several different negatives and sets them up on different enlargers. Then he exposes the photo paper for a few seconds on each. Finally he develops the image and it comes out really cool. To me that is a true work of art, when a photographer can put different images together and it still looks good. Well needless to say there was a lot of pictures in this exhibit where there was negative manipulation. 


After going to the museum I was really inspired to play around in the darkroom myself. I tried taking two negatives and putting them on top of each other and making my own picture. I will upload it soon and post it on here once my class ends for the semester. 
Enjoy!
~Tiffany Lyn 

No comments:

Post a Comment